About Me

My photo
Kentucky
I am not going to lie ... most days we are hot mess here at this little three ring circus I am apart of! I have a great husband, a darling doodlebug of a daughter, two, yes two, boston terriers and a cat ... that is a lot of feet running around!! I love all things creative! I am not the best at anything, but I love to see what other great creative things people do and try to incorporate them into my life! I will warn you, with all this creativity comes the high probability of the following: miss spelling, ranting, random shinanagans! Consider yourself warned.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Salsa Queso; Great Mexican Appetizer

The weather at least for today, has turned a delightful, chilly. Never mind we started the month at 102.
Thursday Night, Saturday Morning, Sunday - all day - have been filled with football. I love college sports - I can't name every quarter back, or remember who beat who in the 1984 showdown, but I love to get in the spirit of college football. I love that in the South they dress up for games and start tailgating on Thursday's (I do not love the SEC, just making that clear - I will always cheer "GO BIG RED" during football- I was raised by a die hard Nebraska Fan). But I kinda secretly wish my daughter goes to school college in the South, because tradition there is soo cool.

Anywho - what to eat on game days! I came across this great homemade Queso - No, dad, it is not Velveeta cheese & rotel. But it was really good - taste like you might actually have it at a Mexican Joint - the real kind!  

2 Medium fresh poblano chile peppers
1 tbs olive oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves minced
2 medium roma tomatoes
1 cup half & half
1/4 tsp salt
3oz cream cheese
8 ounces asadero cheese (I found this at my local grocery store, and they never have anything out of hte ordinary - it was with the cheese by the eggs)
Fresh cilantro - handful
1-2 Jalapeno

Preheat the over to 425. line a baking sheet with foil. Halve chile peppers lengthwise remove seeds (this will burn the hell out of your eyes - be very careful). Place cut side down on baking sheet. Roast 25 mins or until skins are blistered and dark. Wrap in foil let sit on counter for 20 mins or until they cool down.
Pull off skins - chop peppers

In large skilled, heat oil over medium heat, add onion, garlic, cook until tender, add tomatoes, peppers, jalapenos, simmer till cooked - transfer to food processor and chop to liking. Return to pan, add half & half and bring to simmer add salt. Add both cheeses a little at a time and stir till melted and bubbly.

This does not reheat well - it taste good, it just is not as smooth ... so best to make and eat! WONDERFUL.

Enjoy! GO BIG RED ...

No comments:

Post a Comment